> * Document the why, not the how

Does the 'why' implicate documentation for an abstract description of the
implementation design (if not obvious) and the (reference to) underlying
algorithms?

I just looked at the sage review checklist and did not find and advice to
check for appropriate developer documentation (e.g. class design or
reference to implemented algorithm)

If that is missing it may and will cost for a new developer/maintainer
unreasonably  big effort  to understand a design or  reconstruct an
algorithm from the source,
what is often mandatory to maintain or extend existing implementation.

Jakob