Le 19/02/2015 18:54, Michael Orlitzky a écrit :
This presupposes that the status quo is not madness. My sage builds work
for about two weeks before some invisible dependency update breaks them.
There's a line in sage beyond which we just don't care about
dependencies. We ship gcc, some utilities, and a bunch of math software.
But we don't ship e.g. glibc. Guess what happens when I rebuild glibc on
my machine? Sage breaks. What happens if I rebuild gd on my machine?
Sage breaks. What happens if I rebuild dvipng on my machine? Sage breaks.

As much as I despise sage-the-distribution for getting in my way and taking way too much disk space on my poor box (a chromebook has 16Gb... that's for chromeOS+ubuntu+sage), I have to defend it here : if you recompile something which isn't API+ABI compatible with what it replaces, it's quite normal that it breaks things, and sage certainly isn't the only one you break when you do something like this! Especially if it's the libc...

Snark on #sagemath