On 02/19/2015 03:49 PM, Julien Puydt wrote:
> Le 19/02/2015 18:54, Michael Orlitzky a écrit :
>> This presupposes that the status quo is not madness. My sage builds work
>> for about two weeks before some invisible dependency update breaks them.
>> There's a line in sage beyond which we just don't care about
>> dependencies. We ship gcc, some utilities, and a bunch of math software.
>> But we don't ship e.g. glibc. Guess what happens when I rebuild glibc on
>> my machine? Sage breaks. What happens if I rebuild gd on my machine?
>> Sage breaks. What happens if I rebuild dvipng on my machine? Sage breaks.
>
> As much as I despise sage-the-distribution for getting in my way and
> taking way too much disk space on my poor box (a chromebook has 16Gb...
> that's for chromeOS+ubuntu+sage), I have to defend it here : if you
> recompile something which isn't API+ABI compatible with what it
> replaces, it's quite normal that it breaks things, and sage certainly
> isn't the only one you break when you do something like this! Especially
> if it's the libc...

Not true! My package manager will automatically reinstall (i.e. fix) any
other package on the system that has an ABI mismatch as the result of an
upgrade. Sage is the only software not managed by my package manager, so
sage is the only software with this problem.

Libc was an extreme example -- gd/dvipng are more mundane. Sage ships a
gd spkg, and sage uses dvipng but doesn't ship an spkg for it. The
problem? dvipng links against gd. But since dvipng comes from my system,
it links against the system gd. When running within sage, we mangle
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to allow us to use all of our bundled libraries. As a
result, dvipng tries to load sage's gd (WRONG) instead of my system's
(RIGHT), and it segfaults.

The same problem shows up everywhere along the boundary of things we
do/don't bundle. There are a *lot* of little packages along that
boundary and sage breaks whenever one of them gets updated or rebuilt
with different ./configure flags.