On 2015-02-19 18:54, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
On 2015-02-19 16:55, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
It's not incompatibility with Debian that's the problem. Having
dependencies like "whatever was in the git repo at 11:00 on 2015-02-19
UTC-5" leads to madness.
Why madness?

If you try to have sage coexist with *any* other piece of software on
the system, it's going to conflict. Every other package in the ecosystem
depends on something like >=pari-1.0 and <pari-2.0.
Even if Sage depends on a stable version, it will require a specific version. In fact, this whole was started because of doctest failures with PARI-2.7.2 while Sage has (a patched version of) PARI-2.7.1

But if you don't require all doctests to pass, the dependency will usually just be "at least version X".

But sage requires
EXACTLY commit (say) 02a793ab4325. First of all, nobody knows how to
resolve that (is 02a793ab4325 bigger than 1.0?). Second, it restricts
the solution space so much that an installation plan will be impossible
once a few packages are involved.
Most likely, these other packages can just work with the latest PARI.

If the change is big
The change is huge. That's precisely why I care so much: there are tons of very useful features in PARI-master.

we should probably wait for a full release anyway
to make sure we're working against the real, eventual API.
Usually, the API converges. It's not like they try a certain API today and then a completely different API tomorrow. In fact, that could be soon as an argument in favour of upgrading to PARI-master: the API of the next stable release will surely be closer to what's currently in PARI-master than to the current stable release. Therefore, upgrading to PARI-master now will make the upgrade to the next stable release easier.

If it comes down to it, we could always fork pari and make a release.
But we have to call it sage-pari or something else
If calling it sage-pari makes everybody happy, that's fine for me.

Jeroen.