On Saturday, February 21, 2015 at 3:09:58 PM UTC+1, Felix Salfelder wrote:

> as it seems, hardly anybody (and about zero of the core developers) from
> the sage community wants to make use of system-installed packages
> (except for maybe gcc, ssl and whatnot).

That is not true. What is true is that none of the core developers wants to
make their life even more difficult so that the debian packages have less
to do.

At the bottom of it, it is a social rather than a technical problem. You
need to convince people that you have a better way, and be able to listen
to upstream projects. Trying to rip out cythonize() because automake
doesn't do wildcards? And you are surprised that this did not make it
upstream? Are you also surprised that our tanks were not received with open
arms on the streets of Baghdad? ;-)