On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 4:25 AM, Daniel Krenn <kr...@aon.at> wrote:
> Am 2015-04-02 um 13:18 schrieb Thierry:
>> Should we offer a kind of test-sage ? Should we propose a kind of
>> proprecation warning that says "This code is very new and its design is not
>> foolproof. Its design might change.".
>
> This could look like this:
>
>   public/misc/experimental_code_warning
>
> There a new function sage.misc.superseded.experimental is proposed,
> which acts like a deprecation, but giving a FutureWarning stating that
> this code/module is experimental (and a trac ticket number as reference).
>
> You can include this in functions or in __init__ of classes. It could
> stay there for at least one year and removed then (or when stabilized).

I think this is a really good idea.  I'm surprised we didn't
explicitly think about it when deciding on our deprecation policy in
the first place.

I'm definitely for there being a way to include code in Sage that is
very explicitly marked as unstable for which the usual deprecation
policy doesn't apply.   (I'm against such code not having 100% doctest
coverage.)

William

William (http://wstein.org)