On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 3:01 AM, Herbert Eisenbeis
<klassikm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> My system:
> Ubuntu 15.04
> Linux he-VirtualBox 3.19.0-17-generic #17-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 6 16:46:12 UTC
> 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> running in virtualbox 4.3.28, 4 processors and 4GB attached
>
> Installing Sage 6.7 o.k., all ptestlong tests passed.
>
> ./sage -i p_group_cohomology stopped with:
> pGroupCohomology/cohomology.c:256:22: fatal error: ccobject.h: No such file
> or directory
> Full log enclosed.

I hit precisely the same problem too trying to upgrade sage-6.7 for
SageMathCloud on Ubuntu 15.04.

What is ccobject.h? (Rhetorical question.)  The reference to it in
that file pGroupCohomology/cohomology.c is in some auto-generated
Cython code.  I don't see any explicit references to ccobject anywhere
else in the package:

(sage-sh) salvus@compute1-us:src$ grep ccobject -r  *
pGroupCohomology/cohomology.c:#include "ccobject.h"
pGroupCohomology/resolution.c:#include "ccobject.h"

There is a thread about ccobject, which is/was evidently part of Sage:

  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sage-devel/z5EtUQsI980

I tried deleting the ccobject.h line whenever it pops up in some
Cython-generated code in this package (since it does in newly created
files not listed above), and it gets further and hits another Cython
issue:

    cpdef int base(self) except -1:
         ^-----------------------------------------------------------
    pGroupCohomology/mtx.pyx:773:10: Signature not compatible with
previous declaration

I think maybe this package needs some nontrivial attention to work.

Incidentally, the next package on my list to install is something called Neuron

    http://www.neuron.yale.edu/hg/neuron/nrn

and it's also broken in sage-6.7 (Ubuntu 15.04) apparently due to
Cython issues...

In building Sage+many packages for SageMathCloud, I install a bunch of
packages from Pip, Sage optional packages, and R packages.   The R
packages always just work (which is a good thing, since I have little
idea how to debug problems there).  The pip/sage packages never all
work.    The R project must have some sort of quality control for
their packages.  I have the impression pypi has no quality control at
all (see, e.g., [1]).    With Sage optional packages, I think we have
no official quality control still, but I hope that changes....

[1] E.g., there is https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pysparse, which is
broken for over year according to
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25459011/how-to-build-pysparse-on-ubuntu.
I guess people can just dump whatever on pypi, and there's no testing
at all that it does anything?

William (http://wstein.org)