> This points to the core problem: we simply have no way to guess whether
> people want to do that or not.

We do not have to care. Doctests must pass, whatever the install is.
If the local install is broken then we should have a way to detect it,
and if we detect it we must not run the doctests automatically. But if
the install is not broken and the doctests break, then we must know
it.

> Here is a possible compromise proposal:
> * keep default optional package as they are now
> * add a new flag --optional=external (or change --optional=all to do this)
> to test all auto-detected-but-not-part-of-Sage packages like mathematica.
> * add a corresponding Makefile target running tests with this flag.

You know that nobody will ever run those things. The same way that we
do not do it today, even though we have a "--optional=mathematica"
flag available. That's just code that nobody will run, and our
interface will remain as broken as they are now because nobody tests
them.

Anyway. Like I said on the ticket, I'm tired of arguing with you when
you don't want to hear something. Cplex and Gurobi will be tested, and
those who care about having a working interface with Maple, Matlab,
Octave, Mathematica, Scilab, Macaulay2 and others will have to defend
their interests against you. Too bad you fight for a way which will
bring no improvement to our software.

Nathann