On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 10:43:43 AM UTC-7, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

> On Wednesday, 23 September 2015 10:32:08 UTC-7, Thierry
> (sage-googlesucks@xxx) wrote:
>>
>> Hi,

>> > On the other hand, with TAB-completion, that doesn't really matter so
>> much.
>>
>> Note that adding abbreviations actually *breaks* tab-completion and turns
>> out to be counter-productive:
>>
>> sage: a = 0.1
>> sage: a.alg<TAB>
>>
>> Here, the pseudo-faster 'algdep' breaks the autocompletion of
>> algebraic_dependency, and makes both algdep and algebraic_dependency
>> slower to find, for no benefit.
>>

> I don't think this thread is about adding abbreviations for function
> names, it's about
> the names themselves.
>
> There are well-accepted abbreviations in various areas of maths, e.g. ILP
> for Integer Linear Programming.
> Would it be acceptable to have ILP rather than LinearProgramming in a
> function name, e.g.
> BlahFooByILP rather than BlahFooByIntegerLinearProgramming ?

In my opinion, "BlahFooByILP" would be okay as long as the unabbreviated
phrase "Integer Linear Programming" is mentioned early and prominently in
the docstring. "This does Blah Foo using integer linear programming (ILP)".
It is important in my answer that "BlahFooByILP" doesn't interfere much
with tab completion. If you had asked about "ILP_BlahFoo" vs.
"IntegerLinearProgramming_BlahFoo", I might prefer the second.

On the other hand, if someone wants to search for methods, functions,
classes, etc., which use linear programming, they might do

  sage: search_def('linear', 'program')

and get some hits. They may not think to do

   sage: search_def('ilp')

This argues against using abbreviations much.

--
John