Hi Dima,

On 2016-04-08, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> mind you, Magma group invites such people for paid months-long visits,
> where they work on implementing these algorithms in close contact with
> Magma core devs.
> If only Sage could do this too... :-)

Sage has SageDays, and Sage has a rather responsive community. I recall
that in the past, the only serious issue in cooperative projects in Sage
was the time difference between Europe/Africa, Americas and Asia. But
that could be solved by staying up late.

So, I think it *is* possible to implement algorithms in close contact
with Sage core devs.

> or it might make things worse, as the functionality becomes a function of a
> multitude of versions of different parts...

+1

And *making* it modular in the first place or even just *coping* with
modularisation is something that doesn't lie within the core competences
of (most) Sage developers, IMHO.

> But there is a way to make code work in Sage as upgrades happen - making it
> a part of Sage :-)

Indeed that's the approach that I now take with my optional group
cohomology spkg. Thereby making it modular, just to give that concept a try.
Splitting off one third-party component, upgrading to the current
upstream version; rebasing a second third party component on top of the
upgraded first third party component (that's the main obstacle); and
eventually rebasing my own code on top of it, putting it into the Sage
library rather than keeping it in one spkg together with the other two
components.

But it costs me resources that I'd prefer to spend in a more productive
way --- and *nothing* came out of it yet! The attempt to modularise and
upgrade one upstream source to cooperate with a more recent version of
another upstream source takes longer than creating the original version of
the spkg!

> Thus I don't buy this "future-proof" statement

+1

> (well, of course, Sage may
> fold if sufficient number of right people get hit by a bus - but the same
> is true for Magma)

Perhaps that's the hidden purpose of SageDays. Let's make a conspiracy
theory out of it ;-)

Cheers,
Simon