On 2016-04-09, Sergey V Kozlukov <ithesabot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (%i1) f(r,phi) := signum(r^2 - 4);
>                                                2
> (%o1)                     f(r, phi) := signum(r  - 4)
> (%i2) integrate(integrate(r*f(r,phi), r, 0, 3), phi, 0, 2*%pi);
> (%o2)                               - 9 %pi
>
> That's strange

Yup. I've reported it to the Maxima bug tracker:
https://sourceforge.net/p/maxima/bugs/3123/
Probably related: https://sourceforge.net/p/maxima/bugs/2242/

After some investigation, it appears there is a spurious pattern match
somewhere in the integrator -- a subroutine believes it sees an
expression it can handle, but it's mistaken.

Note that fixing this bug will likely result in integrate returning a
noun expression. But that's OK for you guys, right? since then
abs_integrate will handle it.

best

Robert Dodier

PS. By the way, I'm temporarily at liberty, as unemployed actors like to
say; if you or someone you know needs someone who can do interesting
things with math, statistics, computer programming, etc., feel free to
drop me a line (robert.dod...@gmail.com).