Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
> From Trac#20523 <https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/20523> :
>
> Replying to [comment:9 tscrim]:
>> I get a failure trying to install this on Cygwin32 with
>> {{{
>> checking for lzma_version_number in -llzma... no
>> configure: error: "liblzma library and headers are required"
>> Error configuring R.
>> }}}
>> which is the same failure I had on #20190.
>
> From the R 3.3.0 release notes
> <https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/NEWS.html> :
>  :
>
>     The previously included versions of zlib, bzip2, xz and PCRE have
>     been removed, so suitable external (usually system) versions are
>     required (see the ‘R Installation and Administration’ manual).
>

> So it's either :
>
>   * add xz-tools (né lzma-utils) to the list of prerequisites for Sage
>     (i. e. relying on system's liblzma) ;
>   * adding xz-tools (at least the lzma library) to sage (cluttering it
>     with yet one more library to maintain) ;
>   * or relying on system's R through an interface that remains to be
>     written...
>

> Pick your poison...

Make R optional?  (Nothing in Sage depends on it, except for the
interface to it, including Rpy2.)

xz is already an /optional/ Sage package; we'd also need PCRE (or make
it a prerequisite, just for R).  (I'd personally make xz standard
anyway, and recompress our upstream tarballs with it, probably even
dropping bzip2.)

In case we made R optional, we could re-include some stuff (such as
PCRE) into the "upstream" tarball as well; not sure if we should do so
if we keep R standard.

My 2ct,

-leif