kcrisman wrote:

>     Make R optional?  (Nothing in Sage depends on it, except for the
>     interface to it, including Rpy2.)
>
> Gosh, R has been standard for*ever*, practically,

Hört sich nach Schwäbischem Dreiklang an.

> and is often heavily
> advertised as a good reason to use Sage.  There are certainly many who
> have been using them together (as mentioned, obviously nowhere near the
> number of "pure" R users, but still we definitely get queries about this
> regularly)

Well, I guess the ratio of R-thru-Sage users to Sage users is as
"negligible" as that to pure R users. ;-)

I know of exactly /one/ person who reported errors concerning R because
he was using (or trying to use) R; all others just had build issues
(some also doctest failures) with R, and just because it was/is a
standard package.

> and of course optional=untested=broken all too often.

While that's true to some extent, I'd say you confuse cause and effect
here.  If hardly anybody is interested in a package, it will presumably
rotten with time, orthogonal to what its type is (except that build and
test issues with /standard/ packages bug every developer and user, no
matter whether anybody actually uses them).

What happened to the role of an spkg maintainer by the way?

> Take
> the Maple or Mathematica interfaces and their on-again, off-again
> nature...

If I'm not mistaken, Sage never shipped Maple nor Mathematica, nor have
there ever been optional packages of them, unfortunately.  (So we had no
influence on which version was used either, besides that most developers
and buildbots simply couldn't test, not to mention develop further.)

Also, Rpy wasn't invented by Sage, and is developed independently by others.

> Is this only a Cygwin problem, or on other platforms?  I
> couldn't see anything about other problems on this thread.

Wait and see.  The prerequisites R removed from its tarball certainly
won't be present on every system.  We'd at least have to make them
explicit prerequisites for building Sage(!) if we keep R standard,
despite (my impression being) that only few people at all need Sage's R.

-leif