On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 10:54 PM, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:
> kcrisman wrote:
>>
>>     Make R optional?  (Nothing in Sage depends on it, except for the
>>     interface to it, including Rpy2.)
>>
>> Gosh, R has been standard for*ever*, practically,
>
> Hört sich nach Schwäbischem Dreiklang an.
>

>> and is often heavily
>> advertised as a good reason to use Sage.  There are certainly many who
>> have been using them together (as mentioned, obviously nowhere near the
>> number of "pure" R users, but still we definitely get queries about this
>> regularly)
>
> Well, I guess the ratio of R-thru-Sage users to Sage users is as
> "negligible" as that to pure R users. ;-)
>
> I know of exactly /one/ person who reported errors concerning R because
> he was using (or trying to use) R; all others just had build issues
> (some also doctest failures) with R, and just because it was/is a
> standard package.
>

>> and of course optional=untested=broken all too often.
>
> While that's true to some extent, I'd say you confuse cause and effect
> here.  If hardly anybody is interested in a package, it will presumably
> rotten with time, orthogonal to what its type is (except that build and
> test issues with /standard/ packages bug every developer and user, no
> matter whether anybody actually uses them).
>
> What happened to the role of an spkg maintainer by the way?
>

>> Take
>> the Maple or Mathematica interfaces and their on-again, off-again
>> nature...
>
> If I'm not mistaken, Sage never shipped Maple nor Mathematica, nor have
> there ever been optional packages of them, unfortunately.  (So we had no
> influence on which version was used either, besides that most developers
> and buildbots simply couldn't test, not to mention develop further.)
>
> Also, Rpy wasn't invented by Sage, and is developed independently by others.
>

>> Is this only a Cygwin problem, or on other platforms?  I
>> couldn't see anything about other problems on this thread.
>
> Wait and see.  The prerequisites R removed from its tarball certainly
> won't be present on every system.  We'd at least have to make them
> explicit prerequisites for building Sage(!) if we keep R standard,
> despite (my impression being) that only few people at all need Sage's R.

I think almost any dependency that Sage-the-Python-package can work
without should be considered "optional" insofar as installing Sage is
concerned.  I think it's fine for it to be a stadard part of
Sage-the-Distribution.

But this gets almost off-topic and in to my preference that Sage
development make a stronger distinction between those two things.  End
of the day though, I should be able to install Sage-the-Python-package
with as few dependencies as possible in order to use it to build
applications and code directly on Sage.  Whereas Sage-the-Distribution
is more of an end-user thing (in fact I think the OS packaging would
do well to make this distinction as well--have a minimal Sage that
works, but doesn't necessarily support *all* features, plus a
sage-full that is more of a metapackage including all possible
dependencies.