On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 4:54:45 PM UTC-4, leif wrote:

> kcrisman wrote:
> >
> >     Make R optional?  (Nothing in Sage depends on it, except for the
> >     interface to it, including Rpy2.)
> >
> > Gosh, R has been standard for*ever*, practically,
>
> Hört sich nach Schwäbischem Dreiklang an.

Not being from southern Germany, I have no idea what you're talking about

> > and is often heavily
> > advertised as a good reason to use Sage.  There are certainly many who
> > have been using them together (as mentioned, obviously nowhere near the
> > number of "pure" R users, but still we definitely get queries about this
> > regularly)
>
> Well, I guess the ratio of R-thru-Sage users to Sage users is as
> "negligible" as that to pure R users. ;-)

Just today:
http://ask.sagemath.org/question/34571/linear-regression-with-r-in-sagemath/

I'm not saying it's a huge user group, but if Sage is actually mathematics
software and not "people in number theory" software, it would be nice to
have good stats and the tons of optional R packages just waiting.  It has
definitely been a selling point in many discussions I've had, and I and
others have used it ourselves.  Note that even for "brial"/polybori which
presumably is not a huge user base either we made things work out.

How this relates to "Sage-the-package" versus "Sage-The-distro" I don't
care as long as it's still in "sage-the-distro".