I am almost done with everything!!
I have just a couple of remaining questions.

First, I am having a hard time understanding why singular is having a hard
time
with the definition of NTL_NEW_OP.  It is defined that way for a reason,
and this
is completely standard C++ (standard, as in C++98).
Could somebody explain what is going on?
The suggested patch, here
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/blob/master/build/pkgs/ntl/patches/new_singular.patch
is not really the correct semantics.

Second, I have two questions about the libtool flags patch, here:
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/blob/master/build/pkgs/ntl/patches/libtool_flag.patch

First, it would seem more logical to me to have a different flag for each
libtool mode
(i.e., compile, link, etc). That is easy enough to do. Does that seem right?
Or is one global flag OK (but it will get added to every invocation of
libtool).

Second, in the patch, you write
   $(LINK) $(LIBTOOL_FLAGS)
whereas it seems to me more logical to put
  $(LIBTOOL_FLAGS) $(LINK)
so that the libtool flags come towards the beginning of the invocation of
libtool.
Otherwise, these are acting more like compiler flags.

Maybe it would be much clearer if I knew what the typical use case of
LIBTOOL_FLAGS
actually was.
Thanks!

The sooner you clarify the issues, the sooner I can release the patched up
version.
I'm already done with all the other libtool and $(MAKE) issues.