On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 4:32 PM, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 11:15:49 AM UTC, Erik Bray wrote:

>> > I guess Volker's idea is that the author of the ticket decides if
>> > his/her
>> > ticket is worth to be highlighted and provide a well-phrased blurb for
>> > general users.
>>
>> Yes, I support this.  The idea is to have a high-level view that end
>> users can digest as to what changed as it impacts them.  This
>> certainly *should* include bug fixes, but we're talking especially
>> runtime bugs that are fixed from one release to another (as opposed to
>> bugs that only occur during development and which appear and are
>> subsequently fixed only during development).  Sometimes also build
>> bugs are worth reporting if, for example, building on a particular
>> platform is fixed between two releases.  And of course new features,
>> etc.
>>
>> If you autogenerate such a list just from ticket summaries or worse,
>> from the git changelog, it's not very digestible in that way.  I'm
>> glad adding such a changelog is on the agenda.
>

> at least you're autogenerating from something that is visible and reviewed.
> Reviewed these extra pieces, as Volker proposes, to be written is an extra
> burden.

You're basically saying that writing good documentation is an extra
burden.  And of course that's true.  But that's not an argument
against it.

Really we're talking about one or two sentence summaries of what was
changed.  Often it can be the same as, or paraphrased from a commit
message or issue description.

Another possible alternative that I've seen used before is to use
special formatting in commit messages (especially for merge commits)
that can be parsed out for generating a changelog.  This is fine too,
but just changes where the text is written, not the fact that it needs
to be written.  It also still requires something to check that it is
correctly formatted for the parser.