On 2017-01-27, Qian Hong <fract...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for long delay, I was troubled by other things.

No problem. It took me a moment to remember what was going on, but
anyway that's not a problem.

> Most Greek letters do not work:
>
> tex(%beta);
> $${\it \%beta}$$

Well, at present Maxima only assigns TeX properties to alpha, beta, etc.
and Alpha, Beta, etc. Although %foo variables are pretty common in
Maxima, I'm hesitant to assign TeX properties to them across the board
-- we can probably invent several variations for each name, should we
try to cover all of them? That doesn't seem workable.

My advice at this point is to assign TeX properties as you see fit.
How about copying the properties for alpha, beta, etc to %alpha, %beta,
etc? Something like:

  l : '[alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, eta, theta, iota, ...];
  map (lambda ([s], texput (concat('%, s), ?texword(s))), l);

There isn't an ordinary function to get the TeX string for a symbol, but
the undocumented internal function ?texword retrieves it.

Note that there are a few %foo symbols with TeX properties already --
%gamma, %phi, %pi -- maybe you'll want to omit these from the list, or
just go ahead and clobber them.

> tex(sum(x^2, x, a, b));
> $$\sum_{x=a}^{b}{x^2}$$
>
> tex(superq(sum(x^2, x, a, b)));
> $${\it sum}\left(x^2 , x , a , b\right)$$

In this case the TeX property is associated with the "noun" 'sum(...)
and not with the verb. Not sure if this a bug.

The preceding idea about copying TeX properties doesn't work here. How
about changing your input to: tex(superq('sum(x^2, x, a, b)));
(Note the single quote that was inserted.) Does that yield the expected
output?

Followups should probably be directed to the Maxima mailing list.

Hope this helps,
Robert Dodier