On 17 Oct 2017 23:56, "Dima Pasechnik" <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 10:52:47 PM UTC+1, Nicolas M. ThiƩry
wrote:

> The problem is that we cannot, as rightfully pointed here by Michael,
provide a tarball with OpenSSL source, as this
> would be an outright copyright violation. Thus we ought to rely on the
system libraries.

There are a lot of number theorists using Sagemath. Could one or more
consider implementing the functionality of OpenSSL in a re-write? Maybe a
Google Summer of Code project?

If a subset of the SSL developers are happy to have the code they wrote
GPL, then there would be no need to rewrite those bits, if those
individuals would relicense the bits they personally wrote.  That would
mean a rewrite of the bit written by by developers who will not relicense
what they wrote.

Dave.