On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 4:35 PM Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) <
drkir...@kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:

> On 17 Oct 2017 23:56, "Dima Pasechnik" <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 10:52:47 PM UTC+1, Nicolas M. ThiƩry
> wrote:
> >>

> > The problem is that we cannot, as rightfully pointed here by Michael,
> provide a tarball with OpenSSL source, as this
> > would be an outright copyright violation. Thus we ought to rely on the
> system libraries.
>
> There are a lot of number theorists using Sagemath. Could one or more
> consider implementing the functionality of OpenSSL in a re-write? Maybe a
> Google Summer of Code project?

Absolutely not.   That's not how security software works (and would be
insulting to the OpenSSL developers).   You are **epically** understimating
what OpenSSL is and does.

If a subset of the SSL developers are happy to have the code they wrote
> GPL, then there would be no need to rewrite those bits, if those
> individuals would relicense the bits they personally wrote.  That would
> mean a rewrite of the bit written by by developers who will not relicense
> what they wrote.
>
> Dave.

-- William Stein