drkir...@kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:

>> There are a lot of number theorists using Sagemath. Could one or more
consider implementing the functionality of OpenSSL in a re-write? Maybe a
Google Summer of Code project?

> Absolutely not.   That's not how security software works (and would be
insulting to the OpenSSL developers).   You are **epically** understimating
what OpenSSL is and does.

I don't see how it is insulting to someone to say we like what you have
done,  but need a different licence model, so will need to implement the
algoithms ourselves.

How is that materially different to Octave implementing MATLAB
functionality but under an open source licence?

I feel an unacceptable licence and/or a broken implementation on one
platform (OSX) are both reasons for a rewrite.  It seems that there are
both problems now.

What in my opinion is insulting is to

1) Add the OpenSSL code to Sagemath, knowing full well it is against the
licence. How anybody can justify such action is beyond me.

2) Email people and say that you assume that they agree unless they say
they object.

Dave