On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Emmanuel Charpentier
<emanuel.charpent...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Erik,
>
> Le lundi 23 octobre 2017 11:16:05 UTC+2, Erik Bray a écrit :
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 5:19 PM, Emmanuel Charpentier
>> <emanuel.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Again : R is not only a software package but also an ecosystem. The
>> > 11638
>> > (as of today) packages available to R users are a large part of R
>> > usefulness
>> > to its users. So, "disabling downloads from CRAN" is *NOT* fine (to
>> > them, at
>> > least...).
>>
>> I'm not saying it shouldn't be possible to install R packages at all,
>> any less than it should be possible to install Python packages.  My
>> point here was that with Python, for example, one can manually
>> download a package tarball or wheel from PyPI using, say, curl for
>> example (maybe if they running on an air-gapped network this was done
>> on a separate machine and sneaker-netted over, etc.).  pip can then
>> install from the manually downloaded package file.
>>
>> I don't know if the same is possible with R but you'd think it should
>> be.  However R installs packages the sequence still has to be
>> something like
>>
>> 1) Download package from CRAN
>> 2) Verify that package downloaded successfully (maybe it does this
>> maybe it doesn't)
>> 3) Install the package
>>
>> So it should be possible to do steps 1 and 2 manually, and then skip
>> straight to 3.  Admittedly running R on an air-gapped network is
>> probably not a situation the developers have in mind but I have very
>> little doubt that the use case exists.
>

> Indeed, it *is* possible to install a manually downloaded package (not as
> straightforward as  the automatic download-and-install default method). But
> the problem isn't here :
>
> There are a large number of CRAN packages (11660 as of this morning). More
> and more of these packages have mutual dependencies, which are easily
> accounted for bu install.packages() but are a pain to deal with "manually".
>
> In fact, the problem (roughly) has same magnitude as the maintainance of
> your operating system : it *is* indeed possible to maintain a Unix/Linux
> installation using only tarballs conveyed to the system via sneakersnet, but
> it' certainly a) not fun and b) chronophage to the extreme...
>
> As it happened with Linux distributions, these intermutual dependencies,
> which started scarce and lightweight, are getting more and more important.
> My prediction (or prognostication, or oracle, if you wish...;-) is that they
> will reach the level of complexity of operating system distributions in an
> amount of time short enough for this problem to be of interest to all but
> the oldest (i. e. closest to retirement or death) of R users.

I understand all that, and the same is true of some Python packages as
well (which is why sometimes Sage winds up having to add quite a few
spkgs for Python packages--see for example the dependencies of Flask).
But that's simply a matter that has to be dealt with, and people do
(*I* do, even, in some cases).

My point here is not that that that's a nice thing to foist on average
users (it isn't).  Just that it *should* be possible regardless,
without patching or anything else.  My concern is just why are we
maintaining a patch just to be able to build R without SSL...