On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Erik Bray <erik.m.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The same should be true for R,
> and if this is not the case (and I'm not convinced it isn't)

This part I take back.  I see now that in R's configure it really does
refuse to proceed if it doesn't find the right libcurl with SSL
support.  It's not possible to disable since it's now the default
download method.  This is silly though, since other download methods
still work.  It should be possible to disable the requirement at
configure time and fallback to a different default.  It's a shame we
require a patch for this for now but I can help push for an upstream
fix to this if need be, because I think it's fairly silly.