Le lundi 23 octobre 2017 14:43:18 UTC+2, Erik Bray a écrit :

> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Erik Bray <erik....@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
> > The same should be true for R,
> > and if this is not the case (and I'm not convinced it isn't)
>
> This part I take back.  I see now that in R's configure it really does
> refuse to proceed if it doesn't find the right libcurl with SSL
> support.  It's not possible to disable since it's now the default
> download method.  This is silly though, since other download methods
> still work.

Probably not as silly as it seems : it pushes users towards SSL downloading
(for good reasons, I think), while leaving the CRAN mirrors managers some
time to adapt (i. e. getting an SSL certificate from an acknowledged CA).

I think that a second step is the programmed disappearance of the http
access to CRAN mirrors. But we're not yet there.

> It should be possible to disable the requirement at
> configure time and fallback to a different default.  It's a shame we
> require a patch for this for now but I can help push for an upstream
> fix to this if need be, because I think it's fairly silly.

Could you explain why ? I think that the move towards authentication of the
download sources is a Good Idea (TM), but I may be wrong. In any case, the
"silliness" of this is nor obvious to my dentist's eyes...

--
Emmanuel Charpentier