On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 4:16 PM, Nathan Dunfield <nat...@dunfield.info> wrote:
> On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 7:32:03 AM UTC-5, Erik Bray wrote:
>>
>> > I also balk at the idea of shipping a crippled pip.
>>
>> It's not crippled if you don't need it to install from HTTPS which not
>> everyone does.
>

> I agree with Emmanuel that providing "pip" without HTTPS is shipping a
> broken product.  While there are other uses for "pip", by far the most
> common is to install Python packages off PyPI, which requires HTTPS.

It is literally not a broken product.  In fact support for SSL was
deliberately made optional (minus the time it wasn't due to a bug)
because PyPI is not the only use for pip and never was the only use.
Likewise for R's package.install() it supports other sources than CRAN
and as far as I can tell always has.

If you look at my message a little further up I was explicit that in
the common case of "average users", from the Sage perspective, we
definitely want to support this functionality.  From a software design
perspective, however, it doesn't make sense to unconditionally require
SSL when all other features of the software, including package
installation from other sources, works without it.