On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 6:31 PM, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are various https-only software repos, not only Python or R-relayed.
> IIRC kernel.org is one of them. Without SSL headers one cannot build tools to
> access such repos; e.g. there are no such headers in Xcode.
> One may keep repeating "optional" etc mantras, but it does not make
> non-functioning tools functioning, SSL is one of feature creeping and
> becoming de facto standard, just as one cannot really build a functioning
> single-thread CPython, even though it is officially not acknowledged...

Heh, actually it has been.  In CPython 3.7dev the ability to even
build CPython without threads was quietly dropped a few weeks ago.
There was little objection.  It used to be there were very good
reasons to keep that ability, particularly for smaller devices;
microcontrollers, etc.  But now MicroPython exists as the
officially-blessed CPython fork aimed at such platforms.

Anyways, as insistent as I am on this it's still a minor point.  I'm
completely in favor of making SSL a required feature for any binary
distribution of Sage.  I just think it should not fail completely to
build without it.  I changed my vote to "No" only because after
discussion in the thread I was convinced that the proposed options
were not complete.