On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 1:19 AM Isuru Fernando <isu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you want to start porting dependencies to native windows, I'd suggest
> getting all dependencies of sage ported to conda. I maintain a lot of sage
> dependencies for conda-forge and would love to have more packages ported to
> windows and then maybe some day build sage.
>
> There are lots of packages needing native windows support. Some packages have
> windows builds supported, but no conda package. (For eg: ECL). Some packages
> just need some small patches to build system to build them. Some packages
> need extra care. (For eg: Julian and I discovered today that NTL assumes
> sizeof(mp_size_t) is equal to sizeof(long) or sizeof(int) and uses integer
> literals with long suffix. For MSVC/MinGW this is not true)

I think anyone trying to port Sage's dependencies, in full, to work
"natively", no matter how technically competent, will find themselves
quickly in over their head just in terms of overhead.  Using a
POSIX-style toolchain like the MinGW tools is typically easier; I used
to maintain builds of some Python projects on MSVC, but it was an
enormous extra effort and once I stopped doing it, I don't think
anyone else did.  Plus dealing with upstream is a huge pain so you
have to be prepared to maintain non-trivial patches forever.  The true
can be said with Cygwin as well sometimes, albeit usually less so.
Most Cygwin-related patches tend to be one-or-two liners, though as my
efforts in trying to get CPython fully supported on Cygwin show, just
porting one project (especially when it's one as non-trivial as
CPython) can take up all of one person's time.

So I certainly support such efforts and would like to help out.  It's
just a daunting task.

On the conda end of things one thing I've wanted to do is port Cygwin
to conda (and vice-versa) so that packages built for Cygwin can be
installed with conda.