El viernes, 10 de enero de 2020, 14:54:24 (UTC+1), E. Madison Bray escribió:

> That seems like the obvious approach to me.  As it is I've long felt
> that Sage should be more flexible in its dependencies where
> possible/necessary.  With most Python packages it's easy as most have
> a <package>.__version__ and its not so hard to define some variable
> like IS_RPY_2 and just have two separate branches.  I have things like
> that all over the place in other packages to support e.g. different
> Numpy versions or work around version-specific bugs.

I've opened https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/28988 for rpy. But at this
point the major issues are python 3.8 and ipython 7, and I don't see how
one could support several versions of them without forking hundreds of
doctests. Both updates require multi-thousand-lines patches, due to changes
in dict sorting and hashes.