On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 10:41 AM Timo Kaufmann <eisfre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have said this before, but I feel like the point was dropped out of the
> discussion so I'll stress it again. The major issue here is *not* the
> compatibility of sage's own codebase. A few "from __future__ import"'s are
> not so bad.
>
> The issue is that python2 compatibility forces us to use outdated versions of
> a lot of libraries, since many libraries have dropped python2 support a while
> ago. This is a big headache especially for packagers. Those outdated
> libraries are generally not available on distros. At the same time sage is
> usually not compatible with the newer versions. Sage is already difficult to
> package, and that makes it a lot more difficult.

Can you be more specific about this?  What is it about Sage's upstream
codebase maintaining backwards-compatibility for Python 2 that
prevents you from packaging it for Python 3 only, given that it does
support Python 3?  No one is saying that just because upstream support
is maintained for Python 2 for one or two (at the most) more releases,
any downstream packagers have to package it for Python 2.