This has been a long discussion already. Let me try to summarize. My
question was :

  *Do you agree that sage release 9.1 (and most of the 9.1.betas) will not
be kept compatible with Python 2 ?*

Some people give a more or less clear *positive* answer :

Chapoton, Bissey, Gourgoulhon, Kaufmann, Novoseltsev, Koeppe, Mantysalo,
Rojas, Isuru, Stein, Dunfield, Pasechnik (*12*)

Some people give a strong *negative* answer :

Bruin, Bray (*2*)

Some people did not answer the question in a clear way, but still said
*something* :

Palmieri, Roe, King, Crisman, Delecroix, Scrimshaw, Kliem, Labbé, Braun (*9*
)

Among them, I would say that maybe 5 people were rather negative on the
question.

I hope that I have not forgotten anybody or misinterpreted wildly.

[A] It seems to me that the conclusion of the vote is rather clear, and
that we should not feel obliged to make 9.1 compilable with python2.

==> I have therefore changed the controversial wiki page, to make only the
statement that 9.0 is compilable with python2. No more promise for the
future.

[B] I understand and approve the concerns about our user base. We should
really try harder to listen more and help people that are simple users.

So here is my proposal.

* Starting from now, we allow ourselves to move on, using 9.1 betas and
further releases for external python3 updates, including switch to
ipython7, which seems to me the most urgent matter. But we also do not
introduce python3-only code in our own code base if we can avoid it.

* Concerning semantic versioning, I would advocate to use 10.0 as the first
release where all compatibility code will be removed, hence pure py3. This
may take some time, given the sparse work force. Once done, we allow
ourself to use python3-only syntax in our own codebase, such as "yield
from".

Therefore, we can use 9.1, 9.2 and so on until somebody™ does the job of
cleaning up sagemath codebase from remains of py2-only code.

I have tried to make a balanced and reasonable proposal. Applause or scream
at your will.

Frederic