On Nov 12, 2007 8:48 PM, mabshoff
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You should try 7zip (which is open source) or a trial edition of
> Winzip. Another, more likely possibility is that you have a FAT32
> formatted drive which can limit file size to 2GB.

That is the problem, as the file is 2.2GB.

-rw------- 1 sage sage 2.2G 2007-11-07 09:52 Ubuntu.vmdk

I think it's supposed to be easy (and sometimes very desirable)
to convert a filesystem in Windows from FAT32 to NTFS.  This
will make the filesystem journaled, which means the person won't
see the "checking the file system" blue screen whenever Windows
crashes and reboots.

That said -- vmware has an option to split virtual disks into files
that are all < 2GB.  I will definitely fix the vmware machine when
i get back to Seattle to only include files that are < 2GB. However,
this will have to wait about a week.

Anyway, many thanks for reporting this problem!

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics