On Nov 12, 9:54 pm, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Nov 12, 2007 8:48 PM, mabshoff
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > You should try 7zip (which is open source) or a trial edition of
> > Winzip. Another, more likely possibility is that you have a FAT32
> > formatted drive which can limit file size to 2GB.
>
> That is the problem, as the file is 2.2GB.
>
> -rw------- 1 sage sage 2.2G 2007-11-07 09:52 Ubuntu.vmdk
>
> I think it's supposed to be easy (and sometimes very desirable)
> to convert a filesystem in Windows from FAT32 to NTFS.  This
> will make the filesystem journaled, which means the person won't
> see the "checking the file system" blue screen whenever Windows
> crashes and reboots.
>
> That said -- vmware has an option to split virtual disks into files
> that are all < 2GB.  I will definitely fix the vmware machine when
> i get back to Seattle to only include files that are < 2GB. However,
> this will have to wait about a week.
>
> Anyway, many thanks for reporting this problem!

This is ticket #1157  - see http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/1157

William: you can convert the image using vdiskmanager. There is even a
GUI for OSX to do that - see  http://communities.vmware.com/message/674493
- that way I don't have to upload the images to sagemath. I am not
sure why I got this ticket assigned, but now the ball is back in your
court ;)

Cheers,

Michael