Hi,

>  > interesting, I built sage successfully and don't have those errors -
>  > using Arch and no SAGE_ANYTHING environment variables... I noticed I
>  > have other release data - was you trying 3.0 (later release - there
>  > was second release, wasn't it?) - anyway - there's proof it works for
>
>  The second release was minimal fixes to the notebook, so none of that
>  should make a difference compiling. We did try Sage 3.0 on Arch Linux
>  x86-64 and the Fortran compiler was a problem. What platform are you
>  on?

Well, it's 32 bit, Athlon XP era...

>  What is the exact Arch Linux release [if there is such a thing]?

hmm - Arch have rolling release system so there is almost no such
thing like release except for few releases made each year to
distribute installable media... anyway you can version Arch with
dates/time, I upgrade regularly so it's not older than 24 hours
usually... whole idea is very similar to gentoo's portage and ebuilds
- but in binary i686 optimized form

>  One possibility is that the binary g95 we use is missing some system
>  dependencies to work properly on our test image. But I hadn't had time
>  to investigate yet. Arch Linux support in any form is quite new, so
>  the ride might be a little bumpy for a while.

I't not that new - first version I've built on Arch was Sage 2.5 I
think and was updating it without troubles with every release, till
Arch moved to GCC4.3, then I had to wait a bit and had "break" from
sage for some time... anyway - I'd say Arch support is quite old, just
GCC4.3 support is new :)

cheers,
Andrzej.