On Apr 23, 11:12 pm, "Andrzej Giniewicz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Andrzej,

> >  > interesting, I built sage successfully and don't have those errors -
> >  > using Arch and no SAGE_ANYTHING environment variables... I noticed I
> >  > have other release data - was you trying 3.0 (later release - there
> >  > was second release, wasn't it?) - anyway - there's proof it works for
>
> >  The second release was minimal fixes to the notebook, so none of that
> >  should make a difference compiling. We did try Sage 3.0 on Arch Linux
> >  x86-64 and the Fortran compiler was a problem. What platform are you
> >  on?
>
> Well, it's 32 bit, Athlon XP era...

Ok, the Fortran problem might be x86-64 specific in that case.

> >  What is the exact Arch Linux release [if there is such a thing]?
>
> hmm - Arch have rolling release system so there is almost no such
> thing like release except for few releases made each year to
> distribute installable media... anyway you can version Arch with
> dates/time, I upgrade regularly so it's not older than 24 hours
> usually... whole idea is very similar to gentoo's portage and ebuilds
> - but in binary i686 optimized form

Yes, I got that much, hence my question if there is such a thing :)

We got a recent [two weeks] old VMWare image with gcc 4.3 so we could
a) regularly build with gcc 4.3 b) test Sage on Arch Linux.

> >  One possibility is that the binary g95 we use is missing some system
> >  dependencies to work properly on our test image. But I hadn't had time
> >  to investigate yet. Arch Linux support in any form is quite new, so
> >  the ride might be a little bumpy for a while.
>
> I't not that new - first version I've built on Arch was Sage 2.5 I
> think and was updating it without troubles with every release, till
> Arch moved to GCC4.3, then I had to wait a bit and had "break" from
> sage for some time... anyway - I'd say Arch support is quite old, just
> GCC4.3 support is new :)

Well, any Linux distribution with a suitable compiler can build Sage,
but having a VMWare image and hence binaries on our end will likely
lessen the number of surprises you will see. In that line "support by
us" means access to the distribution, i.e. I can debug on the bare
metal instead of playing the usual "debugging via email" game. I have
pointed it out before, but if anyone supplied a VMWare image of their
favorite Linux distribution or Unix it increases the chances that
porblems are caught on our end before things are pushed out the door.

> cheers,
> Andrzej.

Cheers,

Michael