William,

I'm impressed that you take the time to answer all these emails.

Well I eventually did get the notebook and command line Sage to work
for a while.

I managed to crash sage a few times with commands from the Tutorial
such as the linear algebra command kernel() and the matplotlib command
'show()'. I believe it was sage that crashed because calculations were
no longer carried out in the notebook. When I crashed it from the
Vmware command line I was not able to recover. Restarting Sage does
not help because Vmware takes me to its last state, which is a dollar
sign prompt. when I type 'notebook' at the prompt I get the standard
message followed by,

"sh: cannot create notebook.log: Permission denied"
"echo: write error: Broken pipe"

If I type 'sage' at the $ prompt I get about 20 or 30 lines of text
(which I can't copy and paste) followed by the prompt,

<ERROR: name 'sage_prompt' is not defined>

Is there a way to reset the Vmware state?
Why are certain commands found in the Tutorial such as kernel() and
show() causing Sage to crash?

Unless there is a quick fix I may just have to wait until I have a
Linux system or partition before trying Sage, because this Vmware
approach is not working well for me and is taking too much time.

Travis