On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 8:49 PM, Travis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> William,
>
> My machine-
> CPU: AMD Athalon XP 1800+  (1.53 GHz)
> OS: XP SP2 (I have kept the patches up to date)
> Mother board: A-K7T3 Ultra-2 MSI
> Memory: 1.00 GB RAM
>
> I did re-unzip sage-vmware-3.0.1.zip
>
> I think I know the general source of my problems----The Firefox
> notebook does not work unless I am on the internet. Firefox could not
> find the notebook server (http://192.168.70.128) unless I was logged
> on to the internet. I did an experiment. I got Sage working while I
> was on the internet and everything worked fine. I logged off the
> internet and Sage stopped working. I logged back on and Sage still
> would not work. While I was still on the internet I closed the VM and
> restarted Sage. It still did not work. I imagine I would have to
> reboot in order to get Sage working again.
>
> I have a dial-up connection. (I downloaded Sage elsewhere!) Sage is
> not going to work for me if I must be online in order to use it.
> Admittedly, the problem may be due to my older machine.
>
>>You undoubtedly tried to upgrade() the machine then somehow messed it
> up along the way.
>
> I did not try to upgrade() the VM. I just downloaded the VM and sage-
> vmware-3.0.1.zip the other day.
>
> Documentation suggestions:
>
> (1) If it is true that the computer must be on the internet in order
> for Sage and/or the VM to work it should be clearly noted in the
> documentation.

One absolutely definitely does *not* need to be online in order
to use Sage-vmware.   There must be something messed up
about your Microsoft Windows system configuration.  The only
thing I can think to suggest is playing with the networking setting of
vmware player, and possibly looking at the vmware forums.
If that doesn't work, it might be that you'll have to wait until we
create a full native version of Sage for windows before using
Sage.

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics