On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 7:36 AM, Travis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> William,
>
> I'm impressed that you take the time to answer all these emails.
>
> Well I eventually did get the notebook and command line Sage to work
> for a while.
>
> I managed to crash sage a few times with commands from the Tutorial
> such as the linear algebra command kernel() and the matplotlib command
> 'show()'. I believe it was sage that crashed because calculations were
> no longer carried out in the notebook. When I crashed it from the
> Vmware command line I was not able to recover. Restarting Sage does
> not help because Vmware takes me to its last state, which is a dollar
> sign prompt. when I type 'notebook' at the prompt I get the standard
> message followed by,
>
> "sh: cannot create notebook.log: Permission denied"
> "echo: write error: Broken pipe"
>
> If I type 'sage' at the $ prompt I get about 20 or 30 lines of text
> (which I can't copy and paste) followed by the prompt,
>
> <ERROR: name 'sage_prompt' is not defined>

You undoubtedly tried to upgrade() the machine then  somehow messed it
up along the way.

> Is there a way to reset the Vmware state?

You could unzip the original sage-vmware.zip file that you downloaded.
Or download a new version of sage.

> Why are certain commands found in the Tutorial such as kernel() and
> show() causing Sage to crash?

It's possible that your computer has a processor that is very old, and
the binary build of Sage included in the vmware image doesn't
support your computer.

I'm working on getting a very old computer setup to build vmware images
that will work on an even wider class of machines...
What is the exact model of your machine.

> Unless there is a quick fix I may just have to wait until I have a
> Linux system or partition before trying Sage, because this Vmware
> approach is not working well for me and is taking too much time.

You could download a new vmware image from here if you
have a fast net connection:
    http://sagemath.org/SAGEbin/microsoft_windows/

The sage-vmware-3.0.1.b.zip version has a full latex install
included, which is a nice bonus.  Also, I've explicitly disabled
the upgrade() function, so you won't use upgrade by accident.