William,

My machine-
CPU: AMD Athalon XP 1800+  (1.53 GHz)
OS: XP SP2 (I have kept the patches up to date)
Mother board: A-K7T3 Ultra-2 MSI
Memory: 1.00 GB RAM

I did re-unzip sage-vmware-3.0.1.zip

I think I know the general source of my problems----The Firefox
notebook does not work unless I am on the internet. Firefox could not
find the notebook server (http://192.168.70.128) unless I was logged
on to the internet. I did an experiment. I got Sage working while I
was on the internet and everything worked fine. I logged off the
internet and Sage stopped working. I logged back on and Sage still
would not work. While I was still on the internet I closed the VM and
restarted Sage. It still did not work. I imagine I would have to
reboot in order to get Sage working again.

I have a dial-up connection. (I downloaded Sage elsewhere!) Sage is
not going to work for me if I must be online in order to use it.
Admittedly, the problem may be due to my older machine.

>You undoubtedly tried to upgrade() the machine then somehow messed it
up along the way.

I did not try to upgrade() the VM. I just downloaded the VM and sage-
vmware-3.0.1.zip the other day.

Documentation suggestions:

(1) If it is true that the computer must be on the internet in order
for Sage and/or the VM to work it should be clearly noted in the
documentation.
(2) Even if Sage/Firefox notebook generally does not require the
internet, the documentation for those Sage functions that do should
indicate as much. Case in point:
http://sagemath.org/SAGEbin/microsoft_windows/README.txt,
USING SAGE, bullet 3. The "optional_packages()" function obviously
will not work unless there is an internet connection, as the list of
optional_packages() is on your website. There is no indication in
bullet 3 that an internet connection is required.

Travis