On Nov 22, 9:50 pm, Jason Grout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thomas Madden wrote:

Hi,

> > I think I became aware of Sage about two years ago. At that time I was
> > using Maple and was content but the idea behind Sage really interested
> > me so I would periodically check up on it. Almost a year ago I noticed
> > that my %CPU use was maxing out when I was working in a Maple doc. I
> > was using a Power Book G4 and running OS X 10.3.9. I posted this at
> > mapleprimes and contacted support. The reply was that they could not
> > reproduce the behavior and that they would be dropping support for
> > that version of OS X since it was getting old. (other users confirmed
> > the behavior at mapleprimes)
>
> > Ironically, I had avoided upgrading to 10.4 because so many of the
> > Maple users were posting problems with it when it first came out. By
> > the time I noticed that most of the  complaints seemed to have
> > dwindled news was already out about 10.5 so I figured I would just
> > wait for that version. Unfortunately, when it did come out my system
> > did not meet the minimum requirements.
>
> > I started to look at Sage as an alternative but I only found a
> > download for 10.4. I was planning to upgrade at that point and did not
> > want invest in 10.4 so I decided to wait. Somehow it turned into
> > almost an entire year. I just upgraded to a new MacBook Pro and Sage
> > is one of the first things I have installed.

Cool.

> A while ago, I was running Sage on a ibook G4 with 10.3.x (but then
> upgraded to 10.4 when it came out).

Out of curiosity: Which Sage release did you build in case you
remember? One can get Sage to build on 10.3 with a couple patches if I
remember correctly. The issues were mostly about
MACOX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET, but I would also think that a sufficiently
recent XCode was required.

> I don't remember any problems with
> Sage (other than long compilation times).
>
> However, I think you'll be much happier with your current setup :).
>
> Jason

Cheers,

Michael