On Feb 5, 1:26 am, Simon King <k...@mathematik.uni-jena.de> wrote:
> On Feb 5, 10:20 am, Simon King <k...@mathematik.uni-jena.de> wrote:
>
> > In some application, I had to compute a Gröbner basis for a system of
> > about 30000 non-homogenous polynomials of degree 3 with 42 variables
> > and with rational coefficients. But Singular (which does the Gröbner
> > basis computation in Sage) only needed a few hours.
>
> I forgot to add: Of course, there are systems that look much smaller,
> but for which it is practically impossible to compute a Gröbner basis.
> So, my positive experience is no guarantee for your case...

Well, but given the restrictions it sounds like PolyBoRi ought to be
involved in the GB computation, so if any program can compute the GB
it would be PolyBoRi IMHO. Given that Michael B. and Alexander D. are
around here they might have some input on how to do this in case there
are clever tricks.

Other people with large machines might also be helpful in running the
computation in case the ideal can be made available to some people.

> Cheers
>    Simon

Cheers,

Michael