[CCing Michael B. and Alexander D. since they seem to be unaware of
this discussion involving PolyBoRi]

On Feb 6, 3:35 am, Martin Albrecht <m...@informatik.uni-bremen.de>
wrote:

Hi,

> > PolyBoRi is automatically used by Sage for GB computations?
>
> If you construct a BooleanPolynomialRing. See
>
> http://www.sagemath.org/hg/sage-main/file/b0aa7ef45b3c/sage/rings/pol...
>
> > On the other hand I calculated my new ideal and I wonder why it takes
> > so long for SAGE to evaluate just the ideal and not to compute the GB.
> > As I said in my previous posts, I only introduced the ideal, pressed
> > evaluate, waited all night long and nothing. So I didn't even got in
> > to the GB computation phase.
>
> > Is this normal?
>
> No, it should be instant. I assume you're talking about the call
>
> B.ideal([x1*x2 + ..., x2 + ..., ...]) ?
>
> > And another last question: should I use SAGE via web or installe it on
> > my system? Which one do you think is faster? Does it matter?
>
> If you run a potentially large calculation it is better *not* to use the
> public notebook:
>  * the public notebook is for evaluating Sage and not for serious research.
>  * it might put a strain on the system which would be not nice for the other
> users of the public notebook

Indeed, there are rather tight memory and CPU time limits on a per
account basis that you are very likely to run into when doing GBasis
computation work.

>  * there is no guarantee that the server won't be rebooted while your
> calculation is running
>  * there is no guarantee that your data is preserved, although we try.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Cheers,

Michael