William Stein wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Robert Bradshaw
> <rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
>> Currently symbolic variables are un-indexable. What would people
>> think of having indexing create new subscripted variables?
>>
>> sage: a = var('a')
>> sage: a[0]
>> a_0
>> sage: latex(a[1,2])
>> a_{1,2}
>
> That's a pretty wild and crazy idea.  Cool.  Does any other math
> software do that?
> Are there any obvious gotcha's?

So as far as printing, a[0] would look the same as a0 would look the
same as a_0?  Would a[0] actually be the variable a_0 or a0?

Do we ever want to make symbolic expressions indexable?  If so, it would
be confusing to have:

(x+1)[0]

have totally different behavior than

(x)[0].

Jason

P.S. It seems like Maple did something like this---Maple experts can
comment on it, though.

--
Jason Grout