Thanks to David Joyner for his response to my original question. His
method worked nicely. Incidentally, here is the original Maple code
from the lecture of Doron Zeilberger that I was trying to translate
into Sage:

with(combinat): P:=(d,x,y)->add(add(a[i,j]*x**i*y**j,i=0..d-
j),j=0..d);
V:=d->fseq(seq(a[i,j],i=0..d-j),j=0..d)g;
E:=d->fseq(P(d,fibonacci(n),fibonacci(n+1)),n=1..nops(V(d))+5) g:
Q:=(d,x,y)->subs(solve(E(d),V(d)),P(d,x,y));

These lines feature the sort of indexed variables a[i,j] discussed
above.

(The full lecture from which I took these lines can be found at
http://www.math.rutgers.edu/~zeilberg/mamarim/mamarimhtml/em.html.)

Here is a variant on the original question: suppose I wanted to write
a line that creates a polynomial ring whose variables are a_{ij} for i
+j<=d. How should I do it? I might want to set this up, for example,
so that I could tell Sage about an algebraic group action on the space
of polynomials of degree <=d. For a simpler variant: is there a
convenient way to construct QQ[x_{ij}] with 1\leq i,j\leq n? I am a
overwhelmed with the various ways to construct a polynomial ring, and
so I cannot tell if one of them would be appropriate for this purpose.
I can see how to make a polynomial ring in n^2 variables, but I do not
know how to name them x_{ij}.

Thanks again for your help,

James Parson