On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 9:04 AM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> William Stein wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, there is no native port of Sage to Microsoft Windows (I
>> wish there were).  So you can't use it from .NET.
>>
>>  -- William
>
> Is that situation changing?

Not lately.

> I was under the impression Microsoft were sponsoring
> a port, but I've not heard much about it.

2 years ago Microsoft sponsored part-time work on a port for a year.
It wasn't nearly enough to actually complete a port, though it did
result in some important work getting done.   That said, I greatly
appreciate the support by Microsoft.

> Is this progressing well?

> Knowing the hurdles to overcome in porting Sage to Solaris, I would imagine
> those hurdles are much larger to port to Windows. However, with a larger user
> base, perhaps you can attract more developers, so a port is easier.

That appears to not be the case.   After 3-4 years of
waiting/trying/encouraging, I'm pretty sure the only way Sage will
ever get ported to Windows is if me and Mike Hansen just do it
ourselves.

> To write portable code, you do really need to consider portability from the
> start. Much of the code in Sage was not written with that in mind.

Indeed, much code in Sage was written by people that only use Linux,
and it was written long before Sage started.   Fortunately, the
*foundations* of Sage -- namely Python and Cython -- are portable and
cross platform.

 -- William