On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 7:08 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> FWIW, a Google on Cywin brings up 4.8 million hits. On VirtualBox 4.2 million
> hits. Considering Cywin was released in 1995 and VirtualBox in 2007, it would
> suggest to me its a more popular tool today.

VirtualBox has all the drawbacks of a virtual machine. Some of the
main ones being that it is slow to start up, has large disk and memory
usage, and has relatively poor integration with the host operating
system's filesystem by default.  As William said, a Cygwin version of
Sage would be far closer to a "native" application than using it
through VirtualBox.

--Mike