On Jan 6, 10:49 am, David Kirkby <drkir...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 3, 6:13 pm, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dave,
> > it makes no sense to compare cygwin and virtualbox by Googlehits.
> > Cygwin is just a tool to port Unix software to Windows quickly
> > and relatively painlessly (at least the "command-line" software
> > can usually be ported pretty quickly). Cygwin is also a toolchain to
> > develop software on Windows (i.e. it has compilers, etc).
>
> > Virtualbox is an emulator to run other operating systems
> > (e.g. Linux atop WIndows, or the other way aroung). So you can just
> > run a Linux program in your Windows box, unamended.
>
> I realise the baic difference. I think Google hits provides some
> measuare of the usage of such tools, but it's not something we can use
> to get indisputable facts.
no, it doesn't give you *any* reasonable figures, at all!
In fact, I am sure lots of people (a vast majority) are running Cygwin
(or Mingw - a clone of Cygwin) apps on their Windows boxes without
even realising this. Cygwin works quietly behind the scenes here.

Using Cygwin as an environment is a completely different thing, and it
could be less popular than virtualisation such as Virtualbox or VMWare
- but that's irrelevant, as it is not needed to run an Cygwin-based
application.

> > Also, note that many parts of Sage are not developed by Sage
> > developers, e.g. Maxima, GAP. There is little chance that these parts
> > would be ported to Windows natively (on the other hand, e.g., GAP has
> > a Cygwin port, that is well-supported etc). I toyed with making a
> > native port of GAP to Windows some ten years ago. It was a highly
> > non-trivial task that would have taken me months back then (and then I
> > was relatively well-versed in Windows programming).
> > So a "native" port of Sage would still settle for Cygwin ports of some of
> > its
> > modules.
>
> That was why thought such a port would take 10-30 man years.
no, not even this - it's unrealistic to fork e.g. GAP and do your own
port of it. You will have to convince
GAP team to make and maintain such a port...
 [...]

Cheers,
Dmitrii