On Jan 7, 3:24 pm, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu>
wrote:
[...]
> I'm more hopeful about the Sage Python classes--Python and Cython are
> both supported on Windows, and distutils is supposed to handle all the
> linking stuff. I'm not saying there won't be issues though--from what
> I've seen of it the path to a Windows port is littered with so many
> tools and solutions that, in theory, should Just Work (cygwin,
> colinux, virtualization, ...) but in practice just don't.
Robert, in practice Cygwin can work very well. Indeed, porting GAP to
Windows using Cygwin required
about 1 tiny patch, creating the makefile target aware of the
platform...
(i.e. it basically just worked out of the box)
Basically, any Unix project that is properly set up using autoconf etc
and does not use from Unix anything
beyond basic Posix calls, works out of the box on Cygwin.
Sage in this sense is harder, certainly.

Best,
Dmitrii