On Jan 3, 6:13 pm, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dave,
> it makes no sense to compare cygwin and virtualbox by Googlehits.
> Cygwin is just a tool to port Unix software to Windows quickly
> and relatively painlessly (at least the "command-line" software
> can usually be ported pretty quickly). Cygwin is also a toolchain to
> develop software on Windows (i.e. it has compilers, etc).
>
> Virtualbox is an emulator to run other operating systems
> (e.g. Linux atop WIndows, or the other way aroung). So you can just
> run a Linux program in your Windows box, unamended.

I realise the baic difference. I think Google hits provides some
measuare of the usage of such tools, but it's not something we can use
to get indisputable facts.

> Also, note that many parts of Sage are not developed by Sage
> developers, e.g. Maxima, GAP. There is little chance that these parts
> would be ported to Windows natively (on the other hand, e.g., GAP has
> a Cygwin port, that is well-supported etc). I toyed with making a
> native port of GAP to Windows some ten years ago. It was a highly
> non-trivial task that would have taken me months back then (and then I
> was relatively well-versed in Windows programming).
> So a "native" port of Sage would still settle for Cygwin ports of some of its
> modules.

That was why thought such a port would take 10-30 man years. William
and I disagree over what is a 'native' application, but as he said,
the lawyers can argue that one out.