On 05/20/10 06:41 PM, Jason Grout wrote:
On 5/20/10 9:56 AM, David Kirkby wrote:
I gave a talk last night at the London Open Solaris User Group (LOSUG)
with the title "Porting Sage open source mathematics software to
OpenSolaris". I've stuck a copy of the presentation at

http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/talks/Sage-LOSUG-19-5-2010--by-David-R-Kirkby.odp

The talk generated quite a bit of interest - I lost count of the
number of questions. Someone emailed me today, to ask about
statisticians using Sage. I won't forward his message, since I don't
have his permission to do so, but the relevant bit is:

I had one specific question that I didn't think was of general
interest: I work in a statistics research unit and I had already
downloaded (your?) solaris-10 sparc build before the talk.

I wanted to ask, do you think sage offers a statistician (as opposed
to a mathematician)? Perhaps I should ask if you know of any
statisticians already using sage?

I'm sure there are people far better placed to answer that question
than me.

One obvious thing is that Sage includes R, and makes it possible to work
with R via the notebook (though some of the integration is rough around
the edges).

Of course, if they just wanted to run R on Solaris, then
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/solaris/ might be a better choice. If they
wanted to use the notebook to share information, collaborate, etc., Sage
still might be useful.

Jason

Is anyone working on improving the Sage -> R integration?

Making Sage good for statistics, would probably do far more to increase the user base of Sage than improving graph theory, algebra or number theory. My logic for that is that statistics is used by a huge range of professions, whereas number theory is really only if interest to mathematicians.

I do subscribe to the R mailing list - I needed to subscribe to get some help over a Solaris issue, and have remained a subscriber, though I rarely read the messages. The mailing list is *very* active. R certainly has a huge user base. I subscribed on the 12th Feb this year, and now have 10,703 messages! That's about 100 per day!

Dave