William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>     Thanks this does what I need in terms of "locked" text.  It seems that
>     there is no way to lock the cells though, right?  I think such a feature
>     would be useful.
>
> Yes you can.  You can just define code and %hideall it too.
>
> %hideall
> def foo(n,m):
>     return n+m
>
> Then the students won't even see the code.

This is a usefull feature, but it doesn't do what I want.  I want the
students to be able to see the code, and to be able to evaluate it, but
they shouldn't be able to edit the the contents of the cell, unless they
explicitly change the status of the cell to editable.  This is to avoid
accidental deletions/corruptions of the code.  Such a feature could be
useful in general not only in teaching.  A friend of mine uses
Mathematica and considers this feature a life saver.

thanks,
Nikos